Monday, November 15, 2010

Camp Ozark Top Staff Girls 2000 (tsg2000)

















(top left to right, Martha, Lauren, Sandra, Julie, Vella, bottom left to right, Me, Karin, Melanie)
(Marty, churchgirl, Dr. Fatneck, Kahrin, Dr. Briggs, Vells or Veller, or Vilna.

This is a picture of the Camp Ozark Top Staff Girls in the year 2000. Seems like ages ago. I arrived into this camp culture everyone loved and was familiar with, but me. I was definitely the outsider. I had never been an Ozark camper or counselor. I was just "Brad's girlfriend". They had to hire me...Brad must have told the owner we were "serious" about our future and EVERYONE loved Brad. So, I showed up and was put into the position of "top staff". Ooooh, Top Staff...it sounded great, but what was it? Basically, it is the "counselors' counselor" with lots of extra duties and whatnot. I had no idea how big of a deal it was to be chosen for top staff...again, there was a whole new Ozark vocabulary that I was barely beginning to understand.
Honestly, Brad and I had just started dating again after a year long breakup. I loved him and was willing to do anything at that point to be with him. I quit my job in Plano at Dr Pepper/Seven Up and moved into a yellow single wide trailer by the highway in RURAL Arkansas...to me, this was the edge of my willingness...I can clearly remember the look on my Dad's face when he drove me in.
I was scared to death! I had many jobs and several ministry leadership positions by this point, but Ozark was a whole new world. I knew from past experience that I would be seeing VERY little of Brad in the summer. So, I began asking the Lord for just one friend. Just one Lord, that's all I ask. When camp began I moved into a staff house with seven other girls (pictured above). They, of course, all knew each other and had a long history together, inside jokes, etc. However, it really took no time at all for me to feel a part of the group. They treated me like I had been there forever and weren't annoyed when I asked crazy questions like "what is mishmash" and "where is cabin 50?"
I truly, truly am so thankful for the MANY, MANY (more than I could ask of imagine) friendships God blessed me with that summer. Friendships for a lifetime. I ended up living with Lauren and she was a bridesmaid in my wedding. Then, I worked at Ozark for another five summers. The summer of 2000 is what I will always consider my "real camp ozark experience". In later years, I was married with kids and out of the real program...aka real fun.
All this to say, that ten years later we are still friends. We have had a reunion almost every year since. Last fall we went to Boston for Sandra's wedding and I just got home yesterday from Karin's house where we spent the weekend in Dallas. It is always so great to see these girls. We can sit around and talk for hours and hours. Lots of food and laughter. I am so thankful for God's faithfulness to give us exactly what we need when we need it. I needed those tsg girls...and still do.

post signature

1 comment:

Karin said...

Ana! Welcome back to the blogging world! Loved this post - so sweet! Love you!