Monday, November 22, 2010

Pumpkin Pie...So I thought

Growing up, my Grannie (mom's mom) would always bring pumpkin pie to Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. I looooved it. I always chose it over Apple Pie (dad's fav) and whatever else was offered. It wasn't until sometime after I was married and living in Arkansas that someone offered me a slice of REAL pumpkin pie. Ewww! I had no idea what it was. Ick. I called my mom and she said "oh, yeah, it was probably real pumpkin pie". What? What was Grannie's then? I called Grannie to get the recipe and she said she only made "Pumkin Chiffon". The thing I liked about my Grannie's pie was that it was light and fluffy. It had a mouse like texture. So, I guess I had been fooled all those years. Sometime later, I misplaced my recipe and called Grannie again. She said, "what do you mean you lost it? It's on the inside of the Libby Pumpkin puree label." (Yesterday, I looked...it's not there anymore, but I have it written down). So, I've made her chiffon a few times and it never has turned out quite like hers. There are lots of steps and boiling of gelatin and things this (half-hearted) baker was not ready for.
I found this no-bake recipe for pumpkin cheesecake last week and made one for Brad's staff lunch today. We'll see what they say, but I couldn't stop licking the spoon.

EASY Pumpkin Cheesecake

1 package (8 oz. size) cream cheese, softened (I always try to use Neufchatel, lower in calories and cheesier taste...Philly or Store Brand)
1 cup canned pumpkin ( I used the whole can...I want it to taste pumpkin-y)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I used a capful, so at least one tablespoon)
1 container (8 oz. size) cool whip
1 prepared 9" graham cracker crust

Beat cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl with wire whisk or electric mixer until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping. Spoon into crust.

Refrigerate three hours or until set.

The fluffiness of this pie reminded me of Grannie's. =)

post signature

No comments: