Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Yoda & Chicken Legs?


Happy Birthday, Bradley!!!!
We love you and thank God for you!
You are an amazing husband
& a Super Dad!















Besides lots of golf, the thing Brad always asks for his birthday is "Chicken Legs" (NO, we are NOT talking about KFC). This is an old, old, old Dutch recipe from his great Aunt Frieda. It is basically veal scallopini and very thinly sliced pork alternated on a skewer (no chicken, I know), coated in cracker crumbs (the real Dutch people use "rusk"...i do not know what this is, but Saltine crackers work), pan fried and then baked in the oven for 2 1/2 hours. This may sound simple, but it took Brad's mom & I about 7 hours or so. He has had this meal for almost every birthday and I am glad to say it gets easier and easier. The first time I made this was by myself in Mt. Ida, Arkansas...I'm pretty sure I couldn't find veal scallopini at Bob's Food City. Anyway, the boys like them too, so I may be making these twice a year from now on.
















The boys picked out this Yoda cake from a book at one of our favorite
local bakeries. Then lady asked us, "Did you say this was for
a 3rd birthday?" "Um, no...a 33rd." Oh well, some of you might
remember the Spiderman groom's cake we had at our wedding
reception.







Happy Birthday, Honey!

7 comments:

Karin said...

Happy Birthday to Brad! Loved the Yoda cake, and loved even more the Book Club on the side-bar! :)

JacqueGreen said...

I love the cake! That is something Sean would SO dig! ...and "The Shack" is also on my summer reading list! We'll have to talk.... :)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Brad!
Hey! I remember you making chicken legs in Mt. Ida, Ana. Where did you get the veal scallopini? I am busy camp "momming". It is different here, not near as many phone calls, but very needy children.
Thank you for including us in this! It will be fun!

love,
Scott & Becky

The Chandler Clan said...

Hey Brad and Anna, we found your blog from our good friends the Russes blog. How are ya? It looks like we live in a different world from you, we just had baby girl #3! would love to hear from you (ctchand@hotmail.com)-
Traci (Stevenson) Chandler from Ozark

Dre Legit said...

Ana!

The Shack is one of the best books ever! :o) The detail that this guy comes up with, it's just incredible. I def. hope you enjoy it! :o)

Anonymous said...

If you have a girl, will you name her Frieda?
-Martha

Ana said...

haha...if we have a girl, i'll name her Pretty Marty, i promise.